Emergency Services in the Boston Area
Acute Psychiatry Service at Massachusetts General Hospital
The Acute Psychiatry Service, or APS, is located within the MGH Emergency Department. They are a 24-hour service that provides diagnosis and treatment of acute psychiatric and neuropsychiatric emergencies. (617) 726-2994
PSI is a non-profit organization whose mission is to eradicate the ignorance related to pregnancy related mood disorders and to advocate, educate, and provide support for maternal mental health in every community, worldwide.
800.944.4PPD (4773) – PSI’s toll-free HelpLine serves over 1,000 callers a month and is staffed by a volunteer team of PSI trained responders who rapidly refer callers to appropriate local resources, including emergency services.
The HelpLine also offers Spanish-language support – press 1 for Spanish.
The North American Menopause Society
P.O. Box 94527
Cleveland, Ohio 44101
Automated consumer request line: 1-800-774-5342
For names of North American Menopause Society members in your area, you may contact NAMS.
MCPAP for Moms provides real-time, perinatal psychiatric consultation and care coordination for obstetric, pediatric, primary care and psychiatric providers to effectively prevent, identify, and manage depression and other mental health concerns in pregnant and postpartum women. For more information, visit their resources page.
Intensive Outpatient and Inpatient Treatment for Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- California: Maternal Outreach Mood Services (MOMS) – El Camino Hospital, Mountain View, CA
- California: Maternal Wellness Program, Huntington Hospital, Pasadena, CA
- California: Maternal Mental Health Program, University of California, San Diego, CA
- Illinois: Perinatal Intensive Outpatient Program – Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital, Hoffman Estates, IL
- Michigan: Pine Rest Mother and Baby Partial Program – Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services, Grand Rapids, MI
- Minnesota: Hennepin Healthcare Mother-Baby Program – Minneapolis, MN
- New Jersey: Long Branch, NJ. Monmouth Medical Center Perinatal Mood & Anxiety Disorders Program , Long Branch, NJ
- New York: The Motherhood Day Program, Motherhood Center of New York, New York, NY
- North Carolina: Perinatal Psychiatry Inpatient Unit – University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- Rhode Island: The Day Hospital at Women and Infants, Providence, RI
- Utah: Serenity Recovery and Wellness Maternal Mental Health Outpatient Program, Riverton, Utah
- Washington: Swedish Center for Perinatal Bonding and Support, Seattle, WA
- Listings of outpatient providers can be found on the Postpartum Support International website.
Woman’s Health Network
Hallmark Health’s Women’s Health Network provides uninsured or underinsured women, 40 to 64 years of age, free screening and health care services, including mammograms, clinical breast exams, physical exams, pap tests, blood pressure and sugar levels, total and HDL cholesterol levels, and height, weight and body mass index.
For further information regarding the Women’s Health Network and its programs, call (781) 388-4018 or Fax: 397-6032. The Women’s Health Network is co-sponsored by the Malden Junior Aid Association and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
Mind Body Pregnancy – Dr. Anna Glezer: A physician’s expert guidance on your mental health & emotional well-being during pregnancy, delivery, & postpartum. Articles, guides, & advice on mood, anxiety, mental illness, hormones, treatments, resources, & many others.
Treating for Two – Women and healthcare providers don’t have enough information to answer questions about medications and pregnancy. Treating for Two is CDC’s prescription for this problem. Treating for Two aims to improve the health of women and babies by working to identify the safest treatment options for the management of common conditions before and during pregnancy.
Women and Mental Health – National Institute of Mental Health
Postpartum Depression: Signs and Resources for Help – Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies