Emergency Services in the Boston Area
Acute Psychiatry Service at Massachusetts General Hospital
The Acute Psychiatry Service, or APS, is located within the MGH Emergency Department. They are a 24-hour service that provides diagnosis and treatment of acute psychiatric and neuropsychiatric emergencies. (617) 726-2994
PSI is a non-profit organization whose mission is to eradicate the ignorance related to pregnancy related mood disorders and to advocate, educate, and provide support for maternal mental health in every community, worldwide.
800.944.4PPD (4773) – PSI’s toll-free HelpLine serves over 1,000 callers a month and is staffed by a volunteer team of PSI trained responders who rapidly refer callers to appropriate local resources, including emergency services.
The HelpLine also offers Spanish-language support – press 1 for Spanish.
The North American Menopause Society
P.O. Box 94527
Cleveland, Ohio 44101
Automated consumer request line: 1-800-774-5342
For names of North American Menopause Society members in your area, you may contact NAMS.
MCPAP for Moms provides real-time, perinatal psychiatric consultation and care coordination for obstetric, pediatric, primary care and psychiatric providers to effectively prevent, identify, and manage depression and other mental health concerns in pregnant and postpartum women. For more information, visit their resources page.
The MISS Foundation “is an international 501(c)3, volunteer based organization providing C.A.R.E. [counseling, advocacy, research, and education] services to families experiencing the death of a child.” For more information on their services, visit their support services page.
Intensive Outpatient and Inpatient Treatment for Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Alabama: Christina Pannell, LICSW – Huntsville, AL
- Alaska: Postpartum Support – Providence Hospital, Anchorage, AK
- Arkansas: Women’s Mental Health Clinic – University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR
- Arizona: Women’s Health Innovations, Gilbert, AZ
- California: Maternal Outreach Mood Services (MOMS) – El Camino Hospital, Mountain View, CA
- California: Maternal Wellness Program, Huntington Hospital, Pasadena, CA
- California: Maternal Mental Health Program, University of California, San Diego, CA
- California: Maternal Mental Health Program – Hoag Hospital, Newport Beach, CA
- California: Maternal Mental Health Program – Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
- California: Caring for Women with Maternal Depression Program – St. Joseph Hospital, Orange County, CA
- California: Perinatal Psychotherapy Services – San Francisco, CA
- Colorado: Healthy Expectations Perinatal Mental Health Program – Children’s Hospital Colorado, Aurora and Denver, CO
- Colorado: Postpartum Wellness Center – Boulder, CO
- Colorado: The Catalyst Center – Denver, CO
- Colorado: Luna Counseling Center – Denver, CO
- Connecticut: Peripartum Mood Disorders Program – Institute of Living, Hartford, CT
- Connecticut: The Center for Postpartum Support – Westport, CT
- Delaware: Christiana Care Center for Women’s Emotional Wellness – Wilmington, DE
- Florida: Better Beginnings Perinatal Mental Health Center, Gainesville, FL
- Florida: Happy Start Counseling Services – Miami, FL
- Georgia: Women’s Mental Health Program – Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
- Idaho: Transitions Maternal Mental Health Counseling– Boise, ID
- Illinois: Center for Women’s Behavioral and Mental Health – Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
- Illinois: Wildflower Center for Emotional Health – Chicago, IL
- Illinois: Perinatal Intensive Outpatient Program – Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital, Hoffman Estates, IL
- Indiana: Postpartum Support Group – Franciscan Behavioral Health Services, Indianapolis, IN
- Iowa: Women’s Wellness and Counseling Service – University of Iowa Women’s Health Center, Iowa City, IA
- Iowa: Pine Rest – Des Moines, IA
- Kentucky: Norton Women’s Mental Health Services – Louisville, KY
- Maine: Tree of HOPE Postpartum Support Group – Northern Light Inland Hospital, Waterville, ME
- Maryland: Perinatal Depression Outreach Program – Sinai Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Michigan: The Women and Infants Mental Health Program – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Michigan: Women’s Mental Health Program – St. Joseph Mercy Outpatient Behavioral Health Services for Women, Ann Arbor, MI
- Michigan: Pine Rest Mother and Baby Partial Program – Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services, Grand Rapids, MI
- Minnesota: Hennepin Healthcare Mother-Baby Program – Minneapolis, MN
- Minnesota: Mother Baby Intensive Outpatient Program – Nystrom & Associates, Ltd., Eden Prairie, MN
- Missouri: Mother Baby Intensive Outpatient Program – Mercy Birthplace, St. Louis, MO
- New Jersey: Long Branch, NJ. Monmouth Medical Center Perinatal Mood & Anxiety Disorders Program , Long Branch, NJ
- New York: The Motherhood Day Program, Motherhood Center of New York, New York, NY
- New York: Brooklyn PPD Support – Premier Pediatrics, Brooklyn, NY
- New York: Northwell Health Perinatal Psychiatry Service – Zucker Hillside Hospital, Glen Oaks, NY
- New York: Northwell Health Perinatal Psychiatry Service – South Oaks Hospital, Amityville, NY
- North Carolina: Perinatal Psychiatry Inpatient Unit – University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- Ohio: Wexner Women’s Behavioral Health -The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
- Ohio: Women’s Mental Health Program – Lindner Center of HOPE, Mason, OH
- Oklahoma: Balance Women’s Health – Moore, OK
- Oregon: Motheroots Counseling – Portland, OR
- Pennsylvania: Alexis Joy D’Achille Center for Perinatal Mental Health – West Penn Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
- Pennsylvania: Mother-Baby Connections – Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
- Rhode Island: The Day Hospital at Women and Infants, Providence, RI
- Tennessee: Hope Clinic for Women – Nashville, TN
- Tennessee: Ready Nest Counseling – Nashville, TN
- Texas: Women’s Mental Wellness – Dallas, TX
- Texas: Parkland Postpartum Depression Program – Parkland Hospital, Dallas, TX
- Texas: The Women’s Place – Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston, TX
- Texas: The Center for Postpartum Family Health – Houston, TX
- Utah: Serenity Recovery and Wellness Maternal Mental Health Outpatient Program, Riverton, Utah
- Utah: Reach Counseling – South Jordan, UT
- Utah: Perinatal Outpatient Program – St. Mark’s Hospital, Salt Lake City, UT
- Vermont: Emily Miller, MA, LCMHC – Eastern View Medicine, South Burlington, VT
- Washington: Swedish Center for Perinatal Bonding and Support – Seattle, WA
- Additional listings of outpatient providers can be found on the Postpartum Support International website.
Woman’s Health Network
Hallmark Health’s Women’s Health Network provides uninsured or underinsured women, 40 to 64 years of age, free screening and health care services, including mammograms, clinical breast exams, physical exams, pap tests, blood pressure and sugar levels, total and HDL cholesterol levels, and height, weight and body mass index.
For further information regarding the Women’s Health Network and its programs, call (781) 388-4018 or Fax: 397-6032. The Women’s Health Network is co-sponsored by the Malden Junior Aid Association and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
Mind Body Pregnancy – Dr. Anna Glezer: A physician’s expert guidance on your mental health & emotional well-being during pregnancy, delivery, & postpartum. Articles, guides, & advice on mood, anxiety, mental illness, hormones, treatments, resources, & many others.
Treating for Two – Women and healthcare providers don’t have enough information to answer questions about medications and pregnancy. Treating for Two is CDC’s prescription for this problem. Treating for Two aims to improve the health of women and babies by working to identify the safest treatment options for the management of common conditions before and during pregnancy.
Women and Mental Health – National Institute of Mental Health
Postpartum Depression: Signs and Resources for Help – Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies
Aunt Bertha – Aunt Bertha connects people to free and low cost services in their area by zip code. Services include: housing, food, education, goods, money, healthcare, education, employment and legal assistance.
Women’s Health: A guide to Legal Resources – a “resource to arm women with legal tools to help advocate for themselves and other women” created by American University’s online Master of Legal Studies“.